my brother has a cottage with a hawthorne tree and a lilac bush
我哥有間農舍,旁邊種著山楂和紫丁香叢
and a plump young wife with starry eyes
還有一位豐滿的年輕妻子,有著閃閃發亮的雙眼
My brother has a fine coat, a vest the colour of moss
我哥有件上好的外套,一件綠苔色的背心
And a way with people that makes them trust him
在受人信任這方面很有一套
This man has all this things
這傢伙這些都有了
(and my brother's face)(his handsome face)
(也有哥哥的臉)(他英俊的臉)
But just last week...
但就在上週...
I killed my brother.
我已經殺了哥哥
For a month, Our villege had been plagued by an unknown beast.
一個月來,我們村莊飽受無名野獸的折磨
it killed livestock, wrecked fences.
它殺了家畜,砸爛了柵欄
came from the woods.
從森林來的
(most strange things do)
(大部分奇怪的事都這樣)
My brother lost three sheep in one night.(I was safe)(I have no animals)
我哥在一夜之間失去了三隻羊(我安好)(我沒有羊羊)
At the town hall, when I offered to hunt the beast, everyone laughed.
在城鎮議事廳,當我提出要去狩獵那隻怪物,每個人都笑了
Until my brother said: "We'll hunt it together"
直到我哥說"我們會一起去狩獵那傢伙"
The wood were cold.
森林好冷
Quiet
安靜
Dark
且黑暗
We passed a tree with leaves that looked like laidies' hands.
我們通過一棵葉子像女人手的樹
"A common oak!"
"一棵普通橡樹"
And a stream that sounded like dogs growling.
"A babbling brook!"
小溪的聲音聽起來就像吹狗螺
"潺潺小溪"
and a hole deep full of black
和一個深得充滿黑暗的洞
that smelled of lilac.
"How curious!"
聞起來有紫丁香的味道
"真難以理解"
Then,
然後
we found
我們找到
the beast
那野獸
I hid.
我躲藏
When I crawled from my hiding place, and found my brother.
當我從躲的地方爬出來,找到我哥
He had already slayed it.
他已經殺死它
"Just a wolf!" He laughed.
"只是隻野狼"他笑著
"It was only ever a wolf! "
"它竟然只是隻野狼!"
And we both laughed. at how I hade hidden, and how grateful the villagers would be
接著我們都笑了,笑我怎麼躲藏,和村民如何的感激
(to him)
(對他)
I bought home a scrap of cloth I'd torn from his coat.
我帶了塊衣服碎片回去,那時從他外套上扯下的
"We were separated. The beast must have devoured him. This was the only trace I found."
"我們分開了。那野獸一定吞噬他了。我只找到了這個痕跡。" (trace溯自 trend趨勢)
"But I Killed the monster. I avenged my brother."
"但我殺了野獸。替我哥報仇。"
And ever his starry-eyed wife held onto me and wept.
甚至他那眼睛閃閃發亮的妻子哭著擁我入懷 (weep流淚)
That night I feared another attack...But none came.
那晚我害怕另一波襲擊發生...但什麼都沒來。
Instead:
相反的
People thanked me even as they consoled me.
人們安慰我時表達他們的謝意
I was given my brother's animals
我得到哥哥的動物們
And I slept, dreaming of nothing.
而且我入眠時沒有夢到什麼